Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Can I get my PAYE tax code from when I last worked in 2000

Can I get my PAYE tax code from when I last worked in 2000 from my NI number ? I can't find my P45 and I need this Code for buying a property abroad.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your questionRecords (even the computer records) do not go that far back I am afraid - they only are held for the last 6 years (so back to 2009/2010) Can you contact the employer for whom you worked - to see if by some chance they held onto that information (although legally they are only required to retain details for 3 tax years - so this sis a long shot) I am sorry the news is not more favourable, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance Thanks Sam
Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Are you quite sure you need your tax code number? It is more likely that you will need your UTR [Unique Tax Reference] which your tax office can supply and, in any event, will be on any correspodence which they have sent you.