Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have over claim vat than four years (around £5000

i have over claim vat for more than four years (around £5000 /year),i am sole trader (news agent)now vat people are asking this money to pay ,but I am not in situation to pay that money ,if i will not pay that money IS IT A CRIMINAL OFFENCE ?and after your answer will i be able to get more clarification from your side?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer. If you cannot pay then HMRC VAT can make this a criminal offense as failure to pay (or set up an agreeable payment plan with them) will see this amount pursed in court from you. However - do you agree that you owe this money? Or do you feel their assessment of what you owe is incorrect? You ask could you get more clarification after this initial question, could you indicate what additional help you ask for - as we then can determine whether this will require you being asked for an additional payment for providing this additional work Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

vat people are coming to check my records next month,and what i suspect they will ask this money so before that i asking this question.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your response So you know you have undeclared VAT due - then they will establish whats is owed and following the visit will write to you to advise the outcome of their findings, and if you cannot pay then this will be taken to court to pursue the money.But its always best to try and sort it out of court - so see if you can manage a payment plan of a certain amount each month until such time the debt it paid - and it would be worth you getting your accountant to help with this review and any money you may be able to afford to pay off this amount. Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks,

i do my account book my self and now i know that i owe the money but at the same time my business is not generating that money i can pay even in time frame so if i will not pay that money what will happen to me even after close down my business(lease hold shop)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your response It will result in court as already advised - and possible seizing of goods to the value of what is owed.But as you have done your own books - I strongly advise you get an accountant to mange this for you, as you may not be in as bad a position as you fear, it will be money well spent. Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you very much for your answer

but the question what i asked is still not cleared.can you please more cleared what you stated (If If you cannot pay then HMRC VAT can make this a criminal offense as failure to pay (or set up an agreeable payment plan with them) will see this amount pursed in court from you)

thanks

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi You state that you will owe money - so HMRC will expect you to pay this - if you cant or wont pay this then HMRC will take your case to court to pursue for the money (making this then a criminal offence) Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks can i talk directly to you if possible can you please give your phone number

i will fees for that

thanks

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.