Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have an issue with HMRC at the moment. I had a payment

Customer Question

Hi, I have an issue with HMRC at the moment. I had a payment plan set up to repay some outstanding VAT. Unfortunately due to a bereavement earlier in the year I missed a couple of VAT returns, which I have now updated. However HMRC from this month cancelled my payment plan and are now looking for the full amount. A field agent called at my home address and left a letter demanding payment in full otherwise they would start legal proceedings against me. I made a payment last month of £4200. I spoke to HMRC on the phone however they said I have to speak to the field agent that called at my address. I contacted that person who would not discuss this matter with me over the phone, but was very insistent that they call to my address, I refused this and have set up a meeting for tomorrow morning at a neutral location. What I want to do is to re-instate the payment plan which is £12000 and then pay the remaining £8000 of over the next 2 months i.e. £4000 this month and £4000 next month. I am just nervous going into this meeting blind and would like some advice what to expect. Thank you for your help. PS I am a car dealer and my stock is located at my home address.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question
Sorry to hear of your coping with a bereavement on top of this VAT problem, but may I ask did you contact HMRC re the late payments (or was it actual returns that were late) at the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was both payment and filing of return.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
And did you let HMRC know at the time that these would be late? Or ask for an extension/break on the payments due under the payment plan arrangemen as soon as you realised you would not meet the payment dates?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't contact them regarding this matter - to be honest it was the last thing on my mind.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just so you know there was never any missed payments on the payment plan.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response
Then I am afraid its usually the fact that its unlikely that HMRC would agree to a further payment plan - as they would have been more than willing to let you have time under the circumstances, but the fact you have left them to chase you, after a payment plan had already been agreed - puts them in a position where they feel they have no choice but to pursue for the full amount.
However as this was due a bereavement and its understandable that it was the alst thing on your mind AND you made a payment of £4200 last month and I assume will be making another payment this month (if you can do this before - or even better at the meeting - this further shows a gesture of good will on your part.
They also may only have your cars as assets to cease which means you will have to stop trading which they would not want.
I would be surprised if they did not give you one last chance - but can you advise how much you owed initially - how much you have paid off to date and how much is outstanding -
And confirm it was just the new payments arising that you were late paying (along with the relevant VAT returns and all of them recent
Ive just had a client arrive for a meeting, but I will respond as soon as that meet is done if you have furtehr questions or wish me to expand on anything further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Originally I owed £18000 and with the payment plan it has been reduced to £12000. The outstanding amount including the balance of the payment plan is £20000.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have also been advised not to attend the meeting tomorrow morning as this person is nothing more than a debt collector
and does not have the power to negotiate.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response and patience for me to become available

Then I would write to HMRC VAT advising of the position (as you have advised me) and accepting that you broke the terms and agreements as set out when they agreed the payment plan, but that there was extenuating circumstances oin the bereavement you have suffered.

That you have made good a payment last month and would really appreciate them reinstating a payment plan -

I agree no not agree to this meeting but phone the person (Out of courtesy) to let them know you have written (get this done today if possible and send it special delivery) to HMRC VAT - and will deal with them directly at this time - so to note this, and give you 3 weeks grace to negotiate with HMRC.

This should at least get them to back off for now