TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Thank you my question, however I do request one

Thank you for answering my question, however I do request one clarification:-
It seems that if one spends less than 91 days in UK then one is non-resident for income tax purposes. But there is also a scenario when if one is out of the UK for more than 183 days then one is also classified as non-resident for income tax purposes. Both these scenario's apply to the respective tax year.
Please clarify if the above is a correct interpretation, and do they apply whether one is retired or working.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. In order to maintain your non-UK resident tax status, you need to keep your days in the UK under 91 per tax year. However, you can be treated as resident in the UK if you have three or more defined ties to the UK even if you spend between 46 and 90 days in the UK. Take a look here for more information. The defined ties are listed at the bottom of the page. If you spend 183 days outside the UK in a tax year, you may be non-UK tax resident but not necessarily. You have to compare the number of days you spent in the UK with the number of UK ties you have. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.