Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I left the UK 8 years with a unpaid UK tax bill of 6 thousand

Customer Question

I left the UK 8 years with a unpaid UK tax bill of 6 thousand pound
also i never did my self asesment for the 4 years I was working freelance while I was working
and paying tax.
And I never told the HMRC that i was leaving the UK to work for a company full time
can you tell me how to go about sorting all this out?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts.
You would need to ring or write to HMRC - to advise them that you have returned to the UK after 8 years abroad, and ask them to advise you what exactly is outstanding both in tax and the tax returns.
You then have two choices -
1) try and put together estimated accounts for the freelance work along with employment details or
2) ask an accountant to manage this for you.
Withe such a time lapsing, banks will not be able to provide you with bank statements to gather together income and expenses - so much will be dependent on whether you kept any records or estimating the position.
It may well be that HMRC are not interested in the outstanding tax returns -as this is such a long time ago, but the tax owed will still remain due and payable and it would be an idea, that once you know what you now owe (with any interest) that you offer a payment plan to start to clear this.
They will appreciate you coming forward and will give you time to get matters sorted - I have represented clients with up to 9 years outstanding and no records so all estimated - and its a slow process but HMRC accept the final position without too much fuss.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi,
Do you now any accountants in New York that can help me with this uk issue ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you know any accounts in new york that can help me with this uk self assment problem?

as i still live in the usa.

and can they reach out on my behalf ?

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any news on the below

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response and I do apologise for the delay in mine for some reason your question did not appear (or remain) on the Q & A expert board.
I am afraid we have no direct dealings with any of the USA accountants but there are many UK accountants whom have a presence is USA such as
Ernst Young http://www.ey.com/UK/en/Services/Tax
https://www.protaxconsulting.com/
Protax - specialise in UK Expats
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No worries

can you recommend any one in the UK that’s best for this issue

that can do this on my behalf ?

thanks,

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your furtehr question
Any UK accountant will have had dealings with this for clients and HMRC- so you can take your pick!
Just note that this then will involve you needing to come for a visit to the UK so whoever you ask to represent you can do so following the appropriate security checks needed to be carried out.
Or Just Answer could assist by offering you (and I could help you with this if you would like) help with tax return completion and note that we offer a telephone service and I know the USA have those telephone cards that make international calls very cheap (my parents use these regularly when they stay in the USA) and of course this would cost in accountancy costs a fraction of the price!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Would you guys do the outstanding tax forms 2004 -2008 that’s when I was doing freelance work ?

And then once I have all this together then I would contact the hmrc ?

And sort out my outstanding tax bill ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi sam,

Ok

And sort out my outstanding tax bill ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you get this ?

thanks

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
We cannot do the forms for you as we offer advise and support rather than can represent you so we can guide you though doing them yourself
We can also draft letters for you to send to HMRC but none of this can be as your representative I am afraid