bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I would like to sell a SaaS (software as a service)

Customer Question

I would like to sell a SaaS (software as a service) online thus worldwilde.
What aspect should I consider.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Are you considering an UK operation or operating from Belgium? Once I know this I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Keith from UK.

Thanks in advance

Sorry for the confusion, I am working from a Germany base at the moment and the site said you were Belgian!

Firstly you must register with HMRC for self employment. The UK Government advice on this can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/overview

Once you have registered HMRC will send you a self assessment form for completion at the conclusion of each tax year.

If you are selling world wide it may be useful to voluntarily register for VAT although this is technically not necessary until your turnover reaches 82K in any one tax year. If you are selling world wide some of your outputs will be exports, zero rated ie subject to VAT but at 0% so there will be cash flow advantages when reclaiming input tax. Against this is, of course, the necessity to account for the tax quarterly: many people find that rather a fag and avoid it if possible!

Please don't hesitate to follow up if you have more queries and be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Thank you for your support.