TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

My wife is unable to get up & down stairs due to serious COPD

Customer Question

My wife is unable to get up & down stairs due to serious COPD damage to her lungs.
Two stair-lifts would help but I have been quoted approximately £40,000 plus vat to install
a LIFT plus another £6 to £7,000 for the adjoining, exterior brickwork.
My question is: Could we get VAT relief because she is so incapacitated?
Lloyd Davenport
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloSuppliers don’t have to charge VAT if they supply, install, repair, maintain or adapt certain equipment specifically designed for disabled people if it’s for personal use in their home. This includes:adjustable bedshoistschair and stair liftssanitary devicesalarmsThe supplier would need to have you sign a declaration. Zero rating works by the supplier not charging VAT.A stair lift or a chair lift designed for use in connection with a wheelchair is a zero VAT product.VAT reliefs for disabled people aren’t means-tested. They’re not dependent on the benefits a disabled person may or may not get and a person doesn’t have to be registered disabled in order to qualify.The supplier can only zero rate supplies to handicapped people when the person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’. A person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’ if he/she is a person with a condition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes, COPD, rheumatoid arthritis, etc .