Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My partner and I had a joint working tax credit claim which

My partner and I had a joint working tax credit claim which went into his account. We have now separated and he has been given the final payment to his account I have said half of that is mine and our sons and is refusing to give it to me.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts I would avoid having any further verbal conversation with him over this and ask the tax credit office to manage this situation, as they will backdate your claim from the date of separation, and whilst I assume that this relates to the final payment as a couple - which he is refusing to pass over, I would give him until Wednesday - and if he does not make good the amount I would write him a letter asking for the amount due - and failure to produce it will see you taking legal action for the money If by Wednesday he has still failed to give you half the money then I would then make an appointment with a local solicitor. But sadly the tax credit office cannot get involved prior to the date of separation as you had agreed that the joint claim should be paid to him.I would also pursue for CSA (child maintenance) as soon as possible Let me know if I can be of any further assistanceThanks Sam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
which way is the best way forward, solicitor or small claims court
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

I would recommend at this stage a solicitor who can just draft you a letter - which may do the trick without the hassle and time a small claim would take -