bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

We are a charitable trust and company limited by guarantee.

Customer Question

We are a charitable trust and company limited by guarantee. We are looking for advice on applying for VAT exemption on a New Building.
Can you put us onto someone who has had experience in this field? Thanks.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. If the new building is residential accommodation then its construction is zero rated anyway. Here is the Gov UK advice on charitable exemption from VAT: https://www.gov.uk/vat-businesses/charging-vat-to-charities This extract is of particular importance [it is written from a builders' viewpoint]: 'Charities are legally required to give you an eligibility certificate when you supply eligible building or construction services to them at zero VAT. The certificate must contain specific information.' You will find these conditions at paragraph 18 of VAT Notice 708. I do hope my advice has helped point you in the right direction.