bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

About to join a company as a self -employed salesman. Am at

Customer Question

About to join a company as a self -employed salesman.
Am at present a sole trader.
In order to protect them from any liabilities should I register as a Ltd company?
Will not be over VAT threshhold.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. My immediate reaction is why bother with the palaver of operating a private company, from which emoluments will have to be paid under PAYE, when you could be in the much more generous expenses relief provided by the self employment envelope. The only advantage I can see of operating through a private company is as a buffer between you and your new 'employers' in the event of an error by you in your activities. There can also be a tax saving if you are in higher rates tax brackets by with holding payments until another year might be beneficial. I do hope that my reply has been of some help.