TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am retired, aged 68 and in receipt of a works pension of

I am retired, aged 68 and in receipt of a works pension of £1,300 per month, plus the state pension of £520. I also have savings , including my property, of say £430K. My wife , aged 72, is in receipt of her state pension of £50 per month, which is very small as she does not have enough nat ins contributions. Before our recent marriage, she got pension credit of about £90 per week which stopped on our marriage. She has lost therefore about £360 per month. I believe we can claim about £200 re marriage couples allowance. It seems, that because we got married, we have lost a lot of potential income. Is there anything we can claim for ?. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm afraid that, apart from the marriage allowance which you can read about here, there is really nothing you can claim for. Unfortunately, many benefits including the pension credit are based on joint income levels as you can read here. You might consider putting some of your cash savings into accounts in your wife's name only so that any interest will not suffer tax at all. I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if you have any further questions.