TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

My Dad died last year. My Mum died this year. They jointly

My Dad died last year. My Mum died this year. They jointly joined their property. Their total assets equal £365,000.00 approx.
My son says that because my Mum died a widow. The total Inheritance Tax level would be £650,000.00 and I wouldn't have to pay any tax.
I'm confused. I thought it was £325,000.00.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

If one spouse leaves everything they own to the surviving spouse, the spouse who dies first doesn't use their Inheritance Tax nil-rate band of £325,000 as intra-spouse transfers and legacies are exempt from IHT. Therefore, the executors of the spouse who dies second are able to make a claim for the transfer of the unused nil-rate band which potentially doubles the nil-rate band of the second spouse to die to £650,000. You can read about that here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.