bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have old company pensions that I have been taking since 2005.

Customer Question

I have old company pensions that I have been taking since 2005. I still work and pay tax and national insurance stamp.
on checking my tax P800 form I have found out that not only do I pay tax on my pensions at source, but these are then added to the wage I get from working and are taxed again.
Is this right?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. It does not sound right, but the P800 is a most convoluted document. Are you quite sure you are being taxed correctly? Remember for tax purposes your gross emoluments from all sources are aggregated to obtain the overall income to be taxed. To check take your P60s, add up all income and sub total. Then calculate the tax due after deducting personal allowance, private pension contributions etc. If this comes out the same as the P800 then it is just that complex form, but you are quite correct in checking it. I do hope that I have shown you a way forward in this matter.
Thank you for your support.