bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My husband and I have come to live in the UK 6 months

Customer Question

My husband and I have come to live in the UK for approx 6 months we are residents in Jersey CI .We are presently living with our daughter but are moving to rented accommodation later this week.We plan to have 2 holidays while we are here as well.Will we be liable to pay UK income tax although we are already paying this in Jersey.We are both retired so our only income is state and personal pensions.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. If you spend more than 183 days, not consecutive, in the UK in any one tax year, then you are liable to UK taxation on your world wide income. However, the Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and the States of Jersey precludes the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions although it does not protect you from differences in rates of tax. Relief through the treaty is given by means of tax credits, the tax paid in one country being allowed as a credit against the liability in the other. You are very close to the 183 day limit with a six month stay, so a bit of planning will be needed here. I do hope my reply has been of assistance.
Thank you for your support.