Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My father and mother lived in an annexe at my sisters

Customer Question

My father and mother lived in an annexe at my sisters house for 17 years. Although in his 80s my father looked after all his own bills. It now transpires that they should not have been paying the amount of council tax they were for the annexe, we were told this by a council employee who came to convert the property to 2 separate address,s. I have mailed the council and asked if there should be some kind of refund and they deny it was an annexe even though the payment card and the bills state it was. do I have a case?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Sounds to me as though you are being fobbed off by the local council and given the run around by its officials. My first reaction would be to escalate the matter with your local councilor. My second would be to raise it with your local newspaper. My third, to air it with your local TV and radio stations. If they are now deceased the recovery is a matter for the executors or administrators of their estate. By the time the furore of all this has dies down someone will have come to their senses. I do hope that my reply has shown you a way forward at this stage.