taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have recently gone bankrupt (29/05/15) and was talking

Hi, I have recently gone bankrupt (29/05/15) and was talking to HMRC regarding unpaid tax dating back to 2005. I have never received an assessment and never advised what the total payment, if any, they were looking for.
I have received two letters this morning from HMRC advising me of new tax codes for my PAYE income and acknowledgement of my bankruptcy and stating they are not allowed to take preference over other creditors.
I have no assets or funds and wondered if the correspondence received draws a line under the tax issue and I just have to work out my bankruptcy.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Grant Cooper
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question...I presume you had listed all your debts including amounts owing to HMRC in your bankrupcty. If that were the case, then HMRC could only exercise their right to recover payment by taking your belongings after bankrupcty but they can't try to take money in any other way e.g taking money from your wages.A letter from HMRC stating the fact that they are not allowed to take preference over other creditors is confirmation that you can draw a line under old tax issue and start afresh.More information on when creditors can still chase you can be found herehttps://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/bankruptcy-2/after-you-go-bankrupt/creditors-still-chasing-you-after-you-go-bankrupt/ I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you have any other questions ,please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.