Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Sam we spoke some months ago about my tax situation as i

Hi Sam we spoke some months ago about my tax situation as i now live in Egypt and rent my flat in the UK you gave me some very helpful advice re what tax forms to send in for my situation (rental property and small part-time job at 15 hours a month on
line) the tax people sent me back a fomr saying i could pay my tax to them direct not through my tenants my question to you now is regarding the self assessment form for the 2013/2014 year - can i do this on line by January and do i just fill out the usual
self assessment form or is there a special form for people who live abroad. many thanks and look forward to hearing from you
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question and asking for me
You will need to the fill in a parer tax return for 2013/2014 if you were not living in the UK for that year, as the free online services for self assessment do not allow the filing on the non Residency section of the online return to be competed.
But looking at your previous questions you officially left the UK in April 2014 = so the 203/2014 could be filed online - if access to that earlier year has been given to you by HMRC.
And for 2013/2014 the self assessment return had to be sent to HMRC by 31/01/2015 - so do you mean 2014/2015?
If so then the online return has to be with HMRC by 31/01/2016 - but if filing the paper return then by 31/10/2015
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sam many thanks for your response. yes it will be the 2014/2015 year! when you say if access has been given to me by hmrc - i assume they would have to tell me this? how would i know if they have given me access? IS the self assessment form the same form as everyone else or is it different if you are out of the country?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response
Ignore the access comment - this only applied if you had meant 2013/2014 ! But you did mean 2014/2015
The main self assessment return is the same for everyone, but then different parts are added and in your case there will be for the Uk rental income the Uk employment and then a residency page
As things stand HMRCs free online filing system does not allow for the residency page to be completed so you will need to complete a paper return that needs to be with HMRC by 31 Oct so this is quite a tight timetable to achieve this (however you may already have engaged an accountant to do this for you - and their software might support the residency page)
Let me know if I can assist any further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sam
i would be very grateful if you could as i am very confused as to what forms i need to fill in there seem to be so many options for each one and the site seems designed to confuse rather than help and i am used to helping people deal with the DWP website as my monthly salary is only £300 an accountant would probably cost me 2 monthly salaryso my questions are
what are the numbers of the forms i need to fill in? I.E the SA100 and what else? a look at the self employed one give me 3 different forms at least to choose between so if you could possible give me the correct codes for the additional 3 forms i need to fill in i would be very grateful.also i remember from our previous communication it was important that my job was not uk based which it isn't as i work on line from Egypt but my employer is in the UKas an aside i think it is quite funny that as someone living out the country i have to fill out and send a paper form of the form relevant to the fact I am living out the country!thanks for you assistanceLucy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also looking at the property forms do i fill out property form for 2014 or 2015? and is there no way i can fill these forms out on line??? best wishes!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i have worked out the property form question!but my next question is whether i am classed as self employed or employed by the HMRC! I am work as this ladies VA and she pays me for hours i bill for her every month i assume i am self employed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sam many thanks this is all a bit overwhelming! i thought i would have until Jan to work it out!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sam so sorry i think i have downloaded the correct forms so please disregard the question about them. I assume as a Virtual assistant i am classed as self employed my employee does not pay tax or anything on my behalf i just invoice her and that is it and i don't have a contract.- i have some concerns that where i live i do not have a street name let alone a postcode so cannot fill out that part of the form!so that means the only question i think i have for you is if there is anyway round the not filling it out online part am i able to ask you questions about the form itself if i get stuck? m intention is just to go through them with the notes pages so hopefully it will be fine! but it would be great to be able to check in if i m really struggling!many thanks again!
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy
Thanks for your further questions and I apologise for my delay in responding - I have been with clients all day.
Yes you would be classed as self employed for the virtual assistance work but you will need to give an address - whether this be a c/o address or PO Box (or equivalent) for post to be sent to you and for HMRCs records.
I am afraid you have to fill in the forma as you have UK income arising, so whilst you do not live in the UK your income remains liable to tax in the UK - which is why you have to declare it - however due to the fact that you remain entitled to UK personal allowances and the self employed work is undertaken in Egypt ) and you are just paid from the UK) then you tax situation may be very low (even NIL) But HMRC cannot guess at this, so the tax return allows them to establish this.
but if course I can help with the form and I can always offer additional service for this via phone or Skype or through extra Q and A session if you get stuck.
You will need Main tax return SA100 2015 https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/.../sa100.pd
Then self employment
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/.../sa103s-2015.pdf
UK property https://www.gov.uk/government/.../self-assessment-uk-property-sa105
and Residency page https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/.../sa109-2015.pdf
Then when completed sent to *****
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS
United Kingdom
Let me know if I can assist further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
many thanks Sam for responding to my rather panicked questioning! there was no delay from you, the question all came in a short 20 minute burst this evening as i started to investigate it!
That is very good to know re the Skype or phone, are you able to pass me your details here regarding how i would contact you re your rates etc? in order to ask more question would I have to re submit a question and pay again? i have a memory of a monthly subscription. - I am currently and fortunately in the UK but leave on the 28th so the form will need to be sent recorded delivery on Tuesday to hit the deadline i wonder if you would potentially be available on Monday for a call/skype once i have finished the form to clarify any difficulties i have?many thanks again and very best wishes to you i feel much calmer about it now!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Sam
do i also need to register and fill out a CWF1 sole trader form to register for self assessment? looking back at your previous advice i see i filled out 2 forms the property one in order to pa my own tax and the p85 but i have not registered for self assessment - do i do that on line now? or is it not necessary?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it would seem if i purchase some on line software i can fill out my forms on line which would give me till January to do it is this correct?
please let me know if i need to pay another amount of money to have these questions answered asap - many thanks
Lucy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is not the correct number it is ***********
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi i am currently in the UK so this is not an international call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sami see the cost went up from160le to 430le i wonder if this is because you think it might be an international call? i am currently in the UK i would be very grateful if you could respond to this and let me know before i accept the offer. thankyou i look forward to hearing from you
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response
I sent an additional services request for the new amount - so I am not sure what has happened
But the amount you advise is offered would not even cover the cost of my call to you.
You will need to contact Customer services if you are not happy to accept the offer I have made
http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/en-gb/help/topics/143
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sam
thanks for your responsei am currently in the UK so the call will not be expensive but i appreciate your rates. I am trying to take out membership but for some reason seem unable to do this i think this may work out more cost effective as i imagine i will have a few questions coming up whilst i fill out the forms - it think i have worked out that i can do it on line by jan with a software so the only question right now is if i needed to fill out a CWF1 form before the 5th of October - i cannot find a link to join membership if you have one i would be very grateful!! i am having no luck with customer services
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sam
i have taken out membership so i will ask you further questions on line when that is activated - many thanks for your phone offerwith best wishes
Lucy
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update