bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have received penalties to fill in tax returns

Customer Question

I have received penalties for failing to fill in tax returns for 3 years. I have never received or filled in a self assessment form during my working life. I have always been taxed by my employer.The small pensions I have, deduct tax before I receive payment, why has this happened. I also received a cheque from HM Reveue & Customs in April for overpayment of tax. This cheque was for over £200.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to assist you with your question. You are only required to self assess if you are in receipt of income which has not been taxed or if HMRC require you so to do. From the tenor of your question neither of these two situations apply. Clearly there is a case here of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing within HMRC. You should appeal to the HMRC office which imposed the penalties pointing out the realities of the situation and asking for the penalties to be cancelled. The appeal process is simple, you just write a letter. If you meet difficulties just keep plugging away as your letters rise through the hierarchy in the tax office until they arrive on the desk of an official with a rather more comprehensive knowledge of the taxation system that is currently being displayed. Make the point that the penalties will never be paid under any circumstances. Should HMRC be so stupid as to take you to court the their action will be futile and that department will not get a judgement in its favour. I do hope that I have been able to show you the way forward with your problem.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am so grateful for your swift reply. This has caused me so much distress as I retired in April 2011 after the shock of finding my dear husband who had passed away whilst sitting watching television. As you can imagine my life changed completely and now have to manage on my own. So to receive the letters was distressing. I will write to them as instructed by you, hopefully I will get the result you say.
I am so sorry to hear of your husband's demise. I know how shocking such things can be. An old friend of mine was killed in the Shoreham Air Display Disaster.
Thank you for your support.