TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I have lived and worked in Singapore 20 years. I plan

Customer Question

I have lived and worked in Singapore for last 20 years. I plan to return to UK next May 2016 with my final work month in Singapore April 2016. I get paid monthly on 20th of the month. So my final payroll will be on April 20th 2016 which falls into UK tax year 2016/2017. However I will pay up my singapore taxes in full for calendar year 2016 January to April.
Will my final April 2016 payroll be subject to UK tax?
Eddie Barber
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello,You will need to complete a Self Assessment for the income when you return to the UK. You can usually claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief when you report the income on your Self Assessment.HMRC has guidance on how Foreign Tax Credit Relief is calculated, including the special rules for interest and dividends but you may wish to use professional assistance for your filing.In short, yes, you will need to report the income but there is relief from double taxation.