bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

If my elderly mother moves into a small granny flat which is

Customer Question

If my elderly mother moves into a small granny flat which is part of our house and contributes to the running of the property etc ... Do we have to pay tax on the contribution?
Chris
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Your Mother is occupying a room I would submit be under the Rent a Room scheme. Fees paid for such accommodation are taxable, but only if they exceed BGP 4250 pa [7500 from 16/17 tax year]. Below these levels there is no requirement to declare Rent a Room Scheme income. I do hope my reply has set your mind at rest.
Thank you for your support
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith, that's great thanks. Not sure if I have signed up to a monthly contribution? Which I do not require .
Chris
Delighted to have been of assistance Chris. It's always a good idea to have a formal agreement, you can buy one at any competent stationers, just in case of future difficulties and these can occur in the best of families!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do Keith thanks. I am concerned that I may be paying AskanExpert £36 a month this iPad is a new experience and I may of clicked on the wrong box !,,!,
You will have to check up with Just Answer Administration if you have accidentally set up a monthly payment plan which you don't need. They will sort it out for you to just leave the payment for just this question.