TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have had to replace the rotten wood structure of my conservatory

Customer Question

I have had to replace the rotten wood structure of my conservatory with new upvc frames
and doors. The roof also had to be rebuilt. Total costs circa £14,000 this year.
can I set this against income tax paid over the last few years ?
My wife and are OAP's, on pensions .
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Assuming the property that you had the work carried out on is your home, I'm afraid that you cannot offset the costs against your income tax paid in the current tax year or earlier tax years. You can add the cost of the new roof to the purchase price of the property for Capital Gains Tax purposes. If the property is let, then you could offset the conservatory costs against rental income. I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if you have any further questions.