Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I would like tax advice regarding my nominee Transport

Customer Question

I would like tax advice regarding my nominee Transport for London travel card.
I am given a travel card as part of my remuneration package for myself and for someone who lives at my address. This is a tax free benefit from Transport for London.
If I was to sell this benefit onto my flatmate, would I be liable for tax?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question
In essence yes - as you are making a profit out of selling a benefit meant for you.
And it would be up to you to make a full disclosure to HMRC of what you received for it so they could tax you accordingly.
Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I just want to clarify your reply.

It's not actually a benefit meant for me, as I have my own travelcard.

Whether I decide to take up Transport for London's offer of a nominee pass and let my flatmate use it is up to me but doesn't benefit me either way.

Is it still taxable?

Thanks,

Zara

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response
I see its an additional card - then it will be charged as a tax benefit on you and London transport will advise HMRC of the provision of this nominees travel card IF what you pay for it less than it would cost to buy for a non employee.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sam,

Sorry to email again.

This nominee pass (nor my own pass) is not a taxable benefit as part of my remuneration package so Transport for London don't need to do anything there. (I know this may sound odd from a tax perspective but they have agreed with with HMRC.)

I'm just wondering if I was to take up the 'free' offer of the nominee pass from Transport for London and charge my flatmate for it, if I would have to declare this on my self-assessment form?

Thanks,

Zara

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response
Yes as advised initially as you are passing on a benefit (which is by virtue of your employment with London Transport - be it through you advise there is no tax due on said benefit if awarded to you) that does not cost you anything and making money out of it - so my initial advise stands (your first response suggested that this would be done through you nominating this pass to London Transport) but this clearly is your own arrangement so the initial advise is actually the one that applies.