TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am not uk resident and have been given a gift which is a

Customer Question

I am not uk resident and have been given a gift which is a portion of a house. If the house is sold is my money taxable ?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf the house is in the UK then you (as a joint owner) would be taxed on your portion of the gain.If you’re not resident in the UK and sell (or dispose of) a UK residential property you must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and you may have to pay capital gains tax on any gains you make on disposals made after 5 April 2015. A disposal is when the contract to sell the property is agreed.If a property was jointly owned each owner must tell HMRC about their own gain or loss.If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.