How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3833
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am back again. With regards ***** ***** problem mentioned

Customer Question

Hi I am back again. With regards ***** ***** problem mentioned about 18 months ago, the council is trying to make me to pay extra council tax (band A) for the room I converted from the garage. Full time line fact: 1. Bought the house in June 2011. (The house
was a 5 bedroom house with two rooms above the garage. We never used the garage, so decided to convert into a room. After a visit to the council, they suggested to apply for pre-planning advice). 2. Requested pre-application advice on 7th September 2013. 3.
Completed the conversion on 7 January 2014. 4. An officer came to visit as I was keeping people in the new room illegally and wrote a letter to me on 8th February 2014. 5. After a research (with your advice) I wrote to them I wanted to keep two lodgers as
government's "rent a room" scheme. 6. Valuation officer came to visit the room on 23rd June 2015. (I thought the council tax band would be upgraded). 7. Surprised to received a letter from the valuation office - separate "Band A" for the new room and still
"Band D" for the house. 8. Received a warning letter - (If I do not pay the council tax by 28th September 2015, I would loose the right to pay by instalment. Have been paying the council tax for the house "band D" on direct debit). 9. The council sent 'final
notice'- I lost the right to pay by installment. need to pay full payment £781.59 by 30 October avoid legal proceedings. It is a house. I am keeping the lodgers in my existing garage according to government's "Rent a room" scheme. I should not be paying
two council taxes. I have spent a lot of money to convert the room. Still owe some money to friends. Surely this is double taxation. I would be much appreciated for your advice on this matter. Regards, ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello Agri, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The decision as to the banding of your property rests with the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), part of HMRC staffed by chartered surveyors. The decision as to banding does not vest with your local authority. If no change of banding has been made by the VOA then there has been some sabre rattling somewhere and you should never have paid the bill. The threat to prosecute was an empty one, but a technique frequently employed. Without a banding by the VOA any Council Tax demand would be unenforceable. If you think the banding is wrong you can appeal to the VOA. You may need to employ a Chartered Surveyor who is an expert in Rating; unfortunately these are relatively rare birds. I do hope that my reply has been of some assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The valuation agency came on 23rd June 2015 . I thought the council tax would increase slightly. Please see the files no 7, 8 and 9 attached to the previous letter.Regards *****
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Your new build has been assessed by the VOA. If you dispute this then you should appeal to the Agency. That is the correct procedure.
The local authority, the premises having been banded, are perfectly entitled to take such actions as they deep fit to recover unpaid council tax.
I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going appeal. I have the right to appeal to the VOA until 30 December 2015 (They have given me 6 months from the date of the letter). For the time being what do I need to do as the deadline to pay the amount is Friday tomorrow.Regards,
Agni Thapa
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
You need to do two things Agni. Firstly you must appeal to the VOA. Secondly you must write to the local authority telling them that the banding is the subject of an appeal and until that is settled payment must necessarily be withheld.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Delighted to have been of assistance. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your excellent support.

Related Tax Questions