TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

We are renovating a building that has been used for

Hello. We are renovating a building that has been used for non-residential purposes (i.e. has been used as an office) for over 30 years. It was completely unoccupied for 2.5 years before we started renovating it. Can you advise if we can claim any VAT back under the HMRC conversion and renovation scheme (we are private individuals purchasing most of the materials ourselves although have used a builder for some of the work who has charged VAT at 5%) - and if so where we can get that information from?
***** *****
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Take a look at the notes under the VAT reclaim form here. From the brief information you have given me, you may be able to claim a refund of the VAT for the conversion of a commercial premises into residential accommodation but you should read the notes and the questions on the form carefully. Many claims fail due to small mistakes. If you think you can make a claim, keep all the receipts and invoices as HMRC will want to see these. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.