TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have received a P800 from HMRC stating that I owe £214.00

I have received a P800 from HMRC stating that I owe £214.00 for underpaid tax for the tax year 2013/14. On checking the figures I note that they have allowed me a personal allowance of £9440 but as I was born in 1944 I think I should have been allowed £10500 (this for people born between 6 April 1938 and 5 April 1948. If this is correct how do I go about rectifying this with HMRC
Hi. You can call the tax office on the number here to have your personal allowance changed if the P800 is wrong. However, if your income was over £26,100, you will lose £1 of the extra allowance for every £2 of income in excess of £26,100. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.