How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15942
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have received a P800 from HMRC stating that I owe £214.00

Resolved Question:

I have received a P800 from HMRC stating that I owe £214.00 for underpaid tax for the tax year 2013/14. On checking the figures I note that they have allowed me a personal allowance of £9440 but as I was born in 1944 I think I should have been allowed £10500 (this for people born between 6 April 1938 and 5 April 1948. If this is correct how do I go about rectifying this with HMRC
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. You can call the tax office on the number here to have your personal allowance changed if the P800 is wrong. However, if your income was over £26,100, you will lose £1 of the extra allowance for every £2 of income in excess of £26,100. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you