bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have planning permission to demolish two existing residential

Customer Question

I have planning permission to demolish two existing residential properties on the same 1.25 acre rural plot and replace them with two new contemporary-style residential properties (one for myself and family, one for my sister and family). This is being carried out as a self-build; a local builder will be employed to execute the works.
The two existing properties (very recently demolished) were built in the 1890s, and provided ample roosting for bats in the attics of the properties. The two new properties will both have flat roofs. In order to obtain a licence from Natural England I have agreed to construct a separate small building, whose primary purpose will be to serve as a replacement bat roost for the roosts lost in the demolition of the original properties.
My query is this - while VAT notice 708: buildings and construction is clear regarding the VAT exemption status for the two replacement residential properties my builder and myself are both unclear as to the VAT treatment of the separate small building that will serve as a replacement bat roost. Are you please able to offer any definitive advice please?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Gov UK has the following advic: 'The construction of a new building and work to an existing building is normally standard-rated. There are, however, various exceptions to this.' There then follows a series of exceptions which does not include a building for roosting bats. This construction would be standard rated unlike the two dwelling houses which would be subject to VAT, but at a rate of 0%. I do hope that I have clarified the position for you.
Thank you for your support.