Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Would appreciate if you could advise what is the latest

Customer Question

Hi, would appreciate if you could advise what is the latest statistics in HMRC appeals? Does the matter have to go to tribunal to appeal?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HMRC will not negotiate amounts of tax or penalties due, but if the tax position and/or subsequently the tax due is reduced, then this will also impact in a reduction of penalties and any interest charged.
It seems to me (and do correct me if I am wrong) that you agree the amounts but just were trying to negotiate the figure you paid and as a result - with the additional time that has lapsed - the penalties and interest have increased - is that the correct position? or is there more to this.
You ask for statistics in appeals - what specific statistics are you asking for - as appeals that qualify for tribunal (which at face value you do not seem to have a valid appeal) are won on facts so there are no published statistics, just each case is listed for full review of the appeal, and whether upheld, so please expand on what you are trying to establish