bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am current working overseas and contemplating a return to

Customer Question

I am current working overseas and contemplating a return to the UK in the new year. I consider that I will qualify for split year treatment, but can this be claimed for successive years - i.e. I left UK in Nov-14 and will possibly return in Jan-16. Therefore, I would need SYT to apply for 2014/15 and 2015/16 tax years.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Ensors, Chartered Accountants have the following advice: 'If you return to the UK after a qualifying period of full time work overseas, split year treatment may apply, provided you were UK resident in one or more of the four tax years immediately preceding the previous non-resident year. You must also remain UK resident throughout the following tax year, and have satisfied the ‘overseas work criteria’ during the part of the tax year prior to cessation of overseas work, including spending a pro-rated limited number of days in the UK in this period' However Shipleys LLP disagree. As you did not have non residence status in the tax year prior to your return date the split year treatment does not apply. They have a rather complex flow chart here: http://www.shipleys.com/files/Split-Years-Flowchart---Arrivers.pdf In my opinion it would be safer to defer your return until after 6 April 2016. Your arrival will then be in the 16/17 tax year and you will have been non resident fro the whole of the 15/16 tax year and split year treatment will definitely apply. I do hope my answer has been of some assistance.
Thank you for your support.