TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I was self employed and currently owe 5 years of tax, filled

I was self employed and currently owe 5 years of tax, filled with stress and worry I don't know what the first step is to pay for what I owe, I've got all my pay checks and estimated I earner about £40,000 in the 5 years,
who do I talk to to get this sorted?
thanks for you time,
Mr Sawkins
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf you registered fro Self Assessment and you filed but you just did not pay because you did not have the funds, contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as soon as possible.You may be able to either:get more time to paypay your bill in installments by direct debitIf you’ve been sent a payment demand, like a tax bill or a letter threatening you with legal action, call the HMRC office that sent you the letter. Call this helpline, Telephone: 0300(###) ###-#### if you’ve missed your Self Assessment payment date.If you never registered or filed then you need to get those filed as soon as possible.HMRC) will ask you about:your income and expenditureyour assets, like savings and investmentswhat you’re doing to get your tax payments back in orderHMRC will decide whether you should be able to pay immediately - or if you can’t, whether you will be able to get your payments back on track with more time. You need to make contact though. HMRC will take ‘enforcement action’ to get the money - you may be able to avoid this if you contact.