bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

HELLOI HAVE JUST. RECEIVED MYANNUAL SUMMARY2014-15 and see

Customer Question

HELLO
I HAVE JUST. RECEIVED MYANNUAL SUMMARY2014-15 and see that it states total income 2014-15 as £1186.36. I have no idea where this comes from. Also tax underpaid £88.50. Again how does this happen when all incomes are taxed at source.
My ref number is *****
Reg XXXX
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello Reg, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer. and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The annual statement comes from the HMRC office whose address and reference number will be printed on the summary. A tax underpayment of GBP 88-50 is an impossibility on an income of 1186.36 as your personal allowance would completely eliminate any liability. Errors of this type are commonplace, HMRC send out literally thousands or wrong summaries every year. What you should do is to write to the tax office which issued the assessment and draw there attention to the actual position, your earned income and tax deducted (from your P60) plus any investment income and tax deducted therefrom. This will constitute an appeal and HMRC will issue a revised position and one assumes that the demand for underpaid tax will be withdrawn. Be sure to quote your NI Number on your letter. I do hope that my reply has shown you the way forward.