bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I was declared bankrupt on 29/05/15 with debts of around

Customer Question

I was declared bankrupt on 29/05/15 with debts of around £150,000.00.
I included a sum of £60,000 in the bankruptcy for HMRC as I was aware they were looking into my previous 10 years earnings but had never issued a demand/assessment.
I have had no contact with the Official Receiver but my name was posted to the Government website with a release date from bankruptcy of 29/05/16.
I have now received Penalty Notices from HMRC demanding penalties of approx £70,000 be paid by 11th December 2015. I am confused as the tax inspector has been in touch with the receiver so is aware I have no funds or assets to pay by 11th December 2015.
Is this just HMRC tidying up their paperwork by issuing the Notices knowing full well I cannot pay ?
I look forward to earring from you.
Kind regards,
Grant Cooper
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello Grant, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. This is typical of a HMRC try on. Just write to the office concerned and remind them that you are an undischarged bankrupt and any correspondence should be directed to your Trustee in Bankruptcy who may, of course, be the Official Receiver. HMRC are on a hiding to nothing. Bankruptcy clears the slate, that's what it is all about. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your prompt response.

Good advice, I will write to HMRC today.

Grant

Just keep it simple, just tell them you are bankrupt. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Thank you for your excellent support.