bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Why pay tax if one has not been working due ill heath and left

why pay tax if one has not been working due ill heath and left the country for severals years
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. When you left the UK did you complete a Form P85 and send it to your tax office. If you did not you should do so immediately, fortunately there is no time limit as to its submission, it is available on the web and may be filed on line. Once the UK tax authorities have you registered as non resident then normally the only taxable income you receive which is subject to UK tax is the net rental on your UK residence if you own one and rent it out. Depending in which country you were located then a Double Taxation Treaty may apply, there are hundreds, which will preclude the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions. It would thus appear unlikely that you have an UK tax liability, but without more data I cannot comment further.