TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I need to complete my hmrc tax return -15. I was resident

Customer Question

I need to complete my hmrc tax return for 2014-15. I was resident in Saudi Arabia for that year. Do I need to report my "ex-Pat" earnings in Saudi on my SA102 form please?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Can you tell me exactly when you left the UK please. When do you intend to return to the UK to live? Did you complete a P85 when you left the UK? Do you work for a UK employer or a non-UK employer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tony, I left UK in October 2013. Yes - I completed a P85. I returned to the UK on 20 September 2015. Whilst in Saudi I worked for a non-UK Employer (i.e. IBM in Saudi)
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi again You should refer to the Statutory Residence Test notes here and a brief synopsis of the rules here. You completed at least one full tax year abroad so provided you did not spend more than 90 days in the UK in the 2014/15 tax year and you worked sufficient hours abroad, you won't be liable for UK tax on your Saudi earnings. Many people don't disclose the foreign earnings in their UK tax return but that's not strictly correct. Complete the employment pages SA102, box 12 on page Ai2 of the SA101 pages and the SA109 pages. You don't need to complete the domicile section at the bottom of page RR2 or page RR3 unless you are not a UK national. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.