taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Not sure where to start I had an employee who has

hello
not sure where to start I had an employee who has left my employment and I was using the basic tools system and now it seems I have not paid any tax for her but I understood the government allowance was in place for this employee and I had an overpayment last year and I dnt know how to rectifiy this now as she is looking to claim unemployment benefit
any help will be grateful as I'm at my wits end
thank you
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question... Please clarify for me:- when you are referring to Government allowance . do you mean £2,000 allowance against employers' NI contribution?- did you operate the correct tax code applicable to that employee? Many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the 2000 allowance for employees in cont an not sure about tax code she gave me 991 ?
Thank you for your prompt reply.
Here is a practical advise.
I had a similar problem for one of my clients. I called HMRC Online helpline. The guys at the other end are helpful and they will either tell you how to correct the error on your payroll system or make a note and try to sort it out at their end.
Once you get an error in transmission, then that error tends to stay but they can interrogate it at the other end.
Contact details are
Technical queries online services helpdesk at 0300(###) ###-####
I hope this is helpful and answers your question.
If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your reply will ring inland revenue for help