TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am a Tier 2 worker. first month in UK I earn 2500

I am a Tier 2 worker. For my first month in UK I earn 2500 pounds pre tax. I am charged ~ 500 of imcome tax. Is it true that my income is tax free in first 10.000 pounds?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. You are entitled to a personal allowance of £10,600 which is spread evenly over the whole tax year. UK? Did your employer ask you to complete the form here? Did you give them your national Insurance number? If not, ask your employer if they have informed HMRC about you. Alternatively, call HMRC on the number here and ask them to change your tax code to 1060L from BR (20%) which is what you appear to be on right now. If HMRC say they have no record of you, go back to your employer with the completed form I sent you a link to and ask them to tell HMRC about you so that you can get your £10,600 personal allowance tax code. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
I will be back in about 30 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not got a National Insurance Number yet. Does my employer have it? On my pay slip i have: Tax office nam (North East Metropoli), Ref (120/C50202), Tax Code (BR NONCUM). I have got an separate letter saying my NI number is ***** N2 84 99. But it is not the NI number required by HMRC. So what is that number.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
It's a temporary number I suspect. Given that you have a tax reference and a NI number, you have all you need to get your tax code looked at by HMRC so, if I were, I'd give them a call on the number here.