bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Following the announcement in the autumn budget 2015, regarding

Customer Question

Following the announcement in the autumn budget 2015, regarding removing tax relief on travel expenses for temporary workers, I am wondering if this affects my situation.
I am a project manager in full time permanent employment for a construction company. My workplace changes at least once every 24 months (often more) and is therefore classed as temporary. As such, I claim tax relief on my travel expenses for travel between my home and my temporary workplace. Will this change coming in next April mean that I will no longer receive this tax relief?
Many Thanks,
Neil.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello Neil, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Here is Deloitte's guidance on this matter: 'This consultation, announced at Budget 2015 sets out the government proposals to remove tax relief for the cost of home to work travel for those workers employed through an employment intermediary. These intermediaries, often termed ‘umbrella companies’, supply temporary workers to end users or engagers. Workers have a single continuing employment with these intermediaries and so their travel from home to the workplace where they carry out work for the end user is treated as a temporary workplace. As a result the cost of this travel is currently eligible for tax relief. However, workers directly engaged by the end user are not eligible for tax relief for these journeys' You are not employed by an umbrella company nor are you a temporary worker. Thus the new rules do not apply to you. You will be able to continue as before. The only travel for which you cannot receive tax relief is for journeys to and from your employer's presumably head office to receive instructions and other such like attendances as part of your employment. I do hope that my reply has cleared the air for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great. Thank you for clarifying.
Delighted to have been of assistance. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.