Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

They lost their house through debts but as husband has not

Customer Question

They lost their house through debts but as husband has not been employed or claimed any benefits HMRC don't have him on their radar and his worry is if he went to job centre, having to give address etc he would be pinned down for previous debts.He hasn't paid stamp either as they has NO money what so ever.
They did not file for bankruptcy as could not afford to pay the upfront money required.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response
(Please note that you can continue to provide information/ask questions on your original thread which I have provided a link here
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/tax/9fbuk-friends-mine-own-business-didn-t-failed.html
Thanks for the additional information- but were these debts also including tax owed to HMRC and you advsie that the wife IS now working - and she was ALSO named as part of this business that went into decline - is that right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if wife was named in business or not and no the debts that lost them their house etc were through mortgage arrears as business folded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
However they had not filed tax returns as they had no money but owed from previous years.Things just got in such a muddle and they were on a downward spiral.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Can you find out of the wife as part of the business - then I can give a full answer, as it would seem so IF she also owes money and they had not filled in tax returns,
Can you also find out what years they didnt file for - and how much they feel is still owed (even without the missing tax returns)