taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am retired in Ireland and get a non contributory state pension

I am retired in Ireland and get a non contributory state pension from Britain. Do I have to pay tax on it?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question..State pension is taxable in the country of origin, i.e UK state pension is chargeable to UK tax.You don't usually pay UK tax on your UK state pension if you live abroad and are no UK resident for tax purposes. You may have to pay tax on this pension in Ireland.More information on this can be found herehttps://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/tax-on-your-state-pension I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My pension is paid into my bank account. How do I know if the tax has been deducted?
Thank you for your reply.
If you are receiving state pension into your bank account, you can be assured that the amount you are receiving is gross as state pension is paid gross, albeit it is taxable income.
Normally, HMRC will adjust your tax code to reflect this income.
I hope this is helpful and answers your question.
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Best wishes.