bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have borrowed money from a bank in order to invest into bonds

Customer Question

I have borrowed money from a bank in order to invest into bonds for a period of 5 years and provided collateral deposit. Throughout those years any interest earned was paid out to the bank and at the end of 5 years the principal was fully repaid. As a result by the end of 5 years I had made no profits and have taken a loss. Did I have to pay income tax every one of those years?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Juat Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your queation. You are liable for Income Tax on the interest received [the fact that it was paid to the bank is irrelevant]. However as the bods presumably had tax deducted before payment than providing your income, after deduction of your personal allowance, does not exceed GBP 31785 then the tax bill is effectively settled. If you are in a higher tax bracket then there will be more to tax pay. I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Thank you for your support.
You need to declare this income on your self assessment tax return.