bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Why, on my tax statement which arrived on Saturday, is there

Customer Question

Why, on my tax statement which arrived on Saturday, is there an indication that I earned £5555.40 for employment when I have not been earning for some several years?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. There are two possibilities here. Firstly that HMRC have got it wrong, but don't worry they sand out thousands of incorrect statements every year! Secondly you did have taxable income of this amount eg a taxable benefit and they have put it in the wrong place. What you should do is check that it is actually correct, but wrongly expressed. If so there is no problem. Secondly if the statement is incorrect the appeal which you do by simply writing a letter to the tax office concerned. Do not try to unscramble this by telephone, there is far too much chance of the official concerned getting hold of the wrong end of the stick if they can even find the stick at all. I do hope that I have been able to show you a way forward in this matter.
Thank you for your support.