bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I was made bankrupt in May 2015 and have been given a release

Customer Question

Hi, I was made bankrupt in May 2015 and have been given a release date of May 2016.
A figure of £60,000 was allowed for in my bankruptcy for HMRC who had never advised me of an actual figure owed to them but have now issued penalties for approx £90,000. I wrote to them advising that as an undischarged bankrupt I was not allowed to respond and all documents must be sent to the official receiver.
They have replied this morning stating they have dealt with the Official Receiver and he is aware of the situation.
The inspector then goes on to say " I will shortly be closing my file and in the meantime would like to thank you for your co-operation" Does that mean it is allover? I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but it seems positive.
I look forward to receiving your comments.
Kind regards,
Barry
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello Barry, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to reply to your question. Your bankruptcy extinguished any debt you might have had with HMRC. That Department has been in touch with the Official Receiver and from the tenor of their reply I submit that it is indeed all over. Of course they would like you to settle the debt, but your status makes it unenforceable. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Thank you for your excellent support.