How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3813
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

How do I know if my state pension is taxed in Britain? I am

Customer Question

How do I know if my state pension is taxed in Britain? I am resident in Ireland and do not get any information from the pensions board or British revenue.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Your UK State Pension is taxable, but paid gross. As an EEA citizen you have a personal allowance of 10.6K to offset this. Unless your State Pension exceeds GBP 203 per week you will not have any tax liability in the UK. Now when you left the UK did you submit a Form P85 to HMRC? If you did not then you should do so immediately. Fortunately there is no time limit as to its submission, it is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt HMRC will classify you as non resident for the tax year following your date of leaving and furthermore split the leaving year into two portions, one resident, the other non resident. You will find life much easier dealing with HMRC if your are classified as non resident by the P85 process. I do hope my reply has helped set your mind at rest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So ... If I get £734.00 per month from the State Pension, I do not have to pay tax on it? I do not remember filling up a P 85 form.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
No, 8.8K pa is well below the Personal Allowance so no tax will be due. Technically as you are in receipt of income which has not been taxed at source, you should make a return annually but HMRC will almost certainly tell you not to bother.
I would advise you to complete the P85 and gat it away,.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your excellent support.

Related Tax Questions