taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

A contractor owes me 4660. There is a contra to be applied

Customer Question

A contractor owes me 4660. There is a contra to be applied of 2920 due to a problem job. They are saying they have to deduct income tax before applying the contra and pay me the balance. Is this right as They are taxing me on money I won't receive
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 12 months ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.
Please clarify for me...
When you say there is a contra to be applied of £2,920.. has this payment already be made to you in the past?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No it's for costs due to mistakes on a job
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
They've been withholding payment of the 4660 since October until these costs came in, but they actually came in a month ago
Thank you for your reply.There are two ways of addressing this cost.1 - net off whereby you receive the net amount and you declare it as your income. As your contractor is not willing to take this route then the other way is2 - your contractor deducts withholding tax of 20% and gives you the tax deducted amount less what you owe the contractor for faulty job.In your books you would show the tax deducted amount as earnings and show the costs dues to mistakes as your cost of sales.The net result is the same as you would have paid correct tax on your earnings and get tax relief on the costs. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.