TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

From your current Annual Tax Summary my Income Tax payable

From your current Annual Tax Summary my Income Tax payable is £529.00. My query is that with my Wife's total income being less than £3,800, am able to have any of her unused Personal Allowance transferred to reduce my Tax payable? My query arises from an article in the Daily Mail last month stating that an amount of £1,060 could be transferred. Our Dates of birth are, respectively, 12.10.1929 and 13.04.1930
John Blunden
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. This site has nothing to do with HMRC so we cannot access your tax file or that of your wife. We answer questions on UK tax and I can answer your enquiry about the transfer of part of your wife's personal allowance. Do you want me to go ahead with that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I logged on to HMRC believing that I would receive a non-chargeable response in due course. I agreed to pay a fee of £36 just to quickly resolve the matter. If you are not able to supply an answer I will make a personal approach to my local Tax Offie as it is, I believe, a simple straight forward question I raised from a newspaper article. If you are unable to supply an answer from the information I have given, will you please confirm that you will refund the amount you will have charged i.e. £36
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
You can apply for the marriage allowance transfer online here:
https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance-guide/how-it-works
I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was asking about partial transfer of Personal Allowance from Wife to Husband where the wife's income is well below her Personal Allowance. I am fully aware of Marriage Allowance which I already claim in full.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
The marriage allowance that you have is 10% of your wife's personal allowance. That is all you can transfer I'm afraid. Confirmation is here:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2015/02/couples-now-able-to-register-to-shift-unused-tax-allowance-between-spouses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tony. Your most recent statement that my Marriage Allowance is 10% of my
Wife's Allowance is the answer to my query. When I asked the question, I believed that I was in communication with HMRC and would get a straight reply to avoid me calling at their office which would have given me a problem as regards ***** ***** will be aware that I have cancelled any membership to your organisation but, as I am aware that it was my error in using your Service, please let me know if you wish to make a charge. I must admit that I became concerned that I had 'opened the door' to continuing charges being made on my Credit Card but accept that your service is bona fide. Please let me know if you wish to make a charge in settlement.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
In response to your first post, I wrote:
"This site has nothing to do with HMRC so we cannot access your tax file or that of your wife. We answer questions on UK tax and I can answer your enquiry about the transfer of part of your wife's personal allowance. Do you want me to go ahead with that?"
You then said you wanted a quick answer and I provided one. Had you instead asked for a refund in the knowledge that I had told you that the site was not part of HMRC, I would have arranged one. HMRC will never charge a taxpayer for answering a question. You may not always get a correct answer from them but most of the time you will.
You have paid for the service so there is nothing else to pay. I have no involvement with the subscription side of things but if you say that you have cancelled your membership then that should be the end of the matter.