bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Have received a notice regarding Scottish rate of income tax

Customer Question

Have received a notice regarding Scottish rate of income tax but are resident abroad and have no residence in Scotland. Tried to access www.gov.uk/tell-hmrc-change -of details as advised in letter from HMRC but no such site seems to exist. What am I doing wrong!
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. There is no such thing as a Scottish Rate of Income Tax, I should know, I live in Scotland. There may well be in the future if income tax powers are devolved to the Scottish Parliament, but that situation has not yet arisen. You are not doing anything wrong, but I suspect that you may ne the target of a scam by criminals. Have nothing further to do with this matter even if it seems official; it isn't! I do hope that I have been able to show you a way forward.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.
One tiny amendment: paragraph 3, line 1, delete 'ne,' insert 'be.'
An interesting piece of news has just emerged from the Forces Pensions Society which may reflect on your missive. I quote it in full:
'New Tax Raising Powers for Scotland
As of 6 April 2016, if you live in Scotland, some of your Income Tax will be paid to the Scottish government. This is new and will be reflected in your tax code which will from that time be prefixed with a letter "S". This means that Scottish rates of income tax will apply to you which could in due course change the amount of tax you pay. The Scottish government's draft budget was published on 16 December 2015 with John Swinney, the Finance Secretary confirming that for the moment there will be no immediate change to Scottish income tax rates. So in the short term your income tax bill won't change but the way it is levied will. If you live in Scotland you should be getting a letter about the new arrangements if you have not already done so; if you have not, or if you have recently moved either to or from Scotland make sure the Inland Revenue knows your new address so that you are coded correctly. We have received a good deal of traffic about this, including the question "is it legal" to which the answer is yes. This is devolution at work, for better or worse.'