taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have a client who is a "Independent Social Fostering Assessor". whats

i have a client who is a "Independent Social Fostering Assessor".
whats the rules in relation to VAT.
thanks
Thank you for your question...Is your client self employed and his business is offering some form of consultancy?What is his income? Many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

self- employed.

basically an independent social worker.

for local councils he goes around assessing the needs of the family and child to see if they are suitable for fostering.

thanks

Thank you for your reply.

Your client is a self employed independent social worker.
Provided the fee income is less than the threshold for VAT registration i.e £82,000, there is no need to worry about VAT.

Your client could be a self employed book-keeper or accountant and the same rules would apply. Your client is offering a professional service.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so this type of service wouldn's fall under any except or zero rated vat?

regards

Thank you for your reply.

The service is a taxable supply and if your client was VAT registered it would be chargeable at standard rate.

Independent assessor is like an independent auditor/accountant and these services are VATable at standard rate.

I hope this is helpful.