taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have a small book publishing company, and pay royalties to

I have a small book publishing company, and pay royalties to our authors (mostly uk) twice a year. I have not been deducting any withholding tax from the payments. Should I be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Extra question, hope that is ok. Our most successful author is a norwegian crime writer whose work we get translated. Again I dont deduct tax from his royalties. Same question, but payments are to non uk resident. Thanks,
Iain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, didn,t mean to press live phone call button! Happy with email response. Iain
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.You should be deducting tax at basic rate from the payment you make for royalties.HMRC manual SAIM9130 covers the topic Deduction of tax from annual payments of royalties and the link is herehttp://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/saimmanual/SAIM9130.htm Payments made to a recipient of royalties who lives in a foreign country can receive royalties gross under Double taxation agreements. More information on this can be found herehttp://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/intmanual/intm440180.htm I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that; how does the tax deducted get remitted to HMRC and what certificate needs to be given to the author?
Thank you for your reply.You should complete form R185 - Certificate of deduction of income tax .. the link is herehttps://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/372719/r185cert.pdf As far as payment to HMRC is concerned, I must admit I don't know of the actual form. I would presume you write to your local tax office with a covering letter and a cheque for tax deducted as I have not seen a facility to make this payment online. I hope this is helpful.
I thank you for accepting my answer. Best wishes.