TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I moved in 2014. The total cost of the move was £33000. I was

I moved in 2014. The total cost of the move was £33000. I was reimbursed £14000. I know there is tax liability for the 14K - 8K but I'm unclear on whether I can claim a balancing deduction for the 19K that I was not reimbursed for?
HelloGenerally any expenses paid for or reimbursed to an employee over the £8000 exemption threshold will be declared on forms P11D or P9D and will result in either a tax demand for the income tax due or a reduction in the employee’s tax code to recover the tax owed.The maximum amount that can be claimed is the £8000 so any amount over that is taxable unfortunately. The exemption only applies to reimbursed costs. If an employee incurs such expenditure, this is not tax deductible.