TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am a foreign student from Nigeria working US firm (on

Customer Question

I am a foreign student from Nigeria working for a US firm (on contract) while I am studying full time in the UK. Should I pay be paying UK tax?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloGenerally foreign students do not have to pay tax in the UK while they are studying.Nigeria and the UK have a Double Tax Agreement in place by tax treaty. The UK may ask you to account for your living costs if they’re more than £15,000 in a tax year (excluding course fees). The tax year is from 6 April to 5 April the following year. This is because you don’t pay UK tax on foreign income or gains, as long as they’re used for course fees or living costs like:foodrentbillsstudy materialsSince there is a double tax treaty in place between Nigeria and the UK you would not be taxed on your foreign income. If there was not one then you would pay UK tax same as others that are in the UK working.After you view my response, please post if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!